Sunday, January 17, 2016

It's Great to Be 8!


Our youngest is eight. That means he is old enough to be baptized. Kermit mentioned that of all our kids he was the most excited for this day. He is not a kid that shows his excitement on the outside. He plays it all very close to the chest. Baptism day was a week ago Saturday. Jacob asked his brother, Joseph, and Grandpa Monzingo to speak. Joseph was not too very thrilled. Public speaking is not his idea of a good time, but he did well. He took time to prepare and he spoke clearly. Uncle Miles came a little late. Jacob was very happy when he saw him. After we asked Jacob how he felt. In his small whisper voice he gets when he is almost too excited he told us, "I. Am. Awesome."

Grandma and Grandpa Monzingo have given each of their grandkids new scriptures with their name engraved when they were baptized. Jacob loves his new scriptures. He has been so happy to have his own scriptures. He decided that he was going read them all from the beginning. One family scripture study we let him pick the scripture. He just shared the verse he was on. Someone begat somebody who begat someone else. It's quite a wonderful thing to see the evidence of your child trying to do what is good.

All of our kids are baptized now. I admit that I leaked a little from my eyes. I didn't know I was going to be so emotional. I don't know why it didn't occur to me that I would be. This is the last kid hitting milestones. Sometimes in the day to day process of our family growing it is hard to see how the dynamics are changing. These milestones are important for the kid and the parents. Check points to see how we are doing. Someday Kermit and I will be the grandparents handing a brand new set of scriptures to child. That someday is getting closer and closer. I think that. Is. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment