Tuesday, November 28, 2017

A Few More Days of Gratitude

Yesterday was a long, tiring day. I ended up working all day and didn't get home until late. We did get our Christmas tree up. The kids just wanted to get that done. Truthfully, so did I. I love the holiday. I like decorating for Christmas. Every year the challenge is where to put the tree. If I didn't move the furniture around we might have an idea of what to do with that thing. Also, we have a tall tree. It doesn't quite fit where I want. I suppose it . would be wise to find a slightly shorter tree, but we like this one. It's pre-lit. The lights change from white to colorful with the click of a button. We don't have to argue about which lights to put on. We have both. 


Here it is. Not the best picture. If I had bothered to get up out of my chair I might have been able to get a better one. I refer back to the super long yesterday. And my chair has a nasty habit of sucking the life out of all who sit upon it. Just can't move. Despite the bad picture, I love our tree. I love the mismatched, homemade ornaments. I live the strings of red and gold and pearly beads. I love my quilted tree skirt. The ornaments are the best though. They represent family. Almost all of them were crafted by kids or grandparents or me. Those that were not handmade were gifted by loved ones. It is a tree full of love. I am grateful for our family Christmas tree.

Speaking of gratitude, I have a few more to share.

5. What sound are you grateful for today? Laughter. Today and everyday. Especially my children's laughter. It's happiness and hope all bundled together.

6. What in nature are you grateful for? The sky. I love a lot of things about nature, but I really appreciate the sky. I had the opportunity to travel with a touring theatre group right after college. I saw many wonderful, amazing places around this country. We spent the first part of our tour on the East coast. When we were returning to Texas for Christmas break, I noticed how big the sky was. I had missed it. I didn't know I would miss seeing the sky. Some people are uncomfortable with how flat and open the land can be here, but I like it.

7. What memory are you grateful for? It would be easiest to say that I am grateful for memories of my family. While that is true, today I am most grateful for memories of my mistakes. Remembering mistakes can motivate me to be better. To do better. I could chose to wallow in the mistakes and beat myself up about how terrible I am and sometimes I do indulge in that impulse. However, it is not always bad. If I know how I messed up before, I can fix it and avoid it in the future.

8. What book are you most grateful for? Reading is my passion. I am a voracious reader. My Goodreads goal this year was 48. That was an easy target for me. With all the books I've read the one that has influenced and shaped my life most is The Book of Mormon. All the good things in my life have happened because of that book. It's all true. Heavenly Father loves us. Jesus is the Christ. Joseph Smith was the prophet. Putting the precepts and principles found in that book to action has done more good for me and for many, many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment