Monday, October 23, 2017

The Middle of the World

This is the week I decided it wasn't too soon to ask what he wanted to eat when he came home. After he understood what I was asking, he decided to reply with a lot of Portuguese. I'm not sure if he really thinks I'll understand without the help of Google translate or if he just doesn't realize what he's doing. I've included our delicious exchange as well as his weekly email.

Me: So, I know you are busy but maybe you can take a moment to think about what you want to eat when you get home. 

Daniel: Like, what do you mean what I want to eat? Cause like, well you've already got the plane ticket so I'll be there around 9ish I think so I would honestly love breakfast like, biscuits or some breakfast burritos or something like that. I imagine that we don't have a pressure cooker at home então se for almoçar, que tem que fazer então vai ficar sem feijão. Também não sei fazer feijão então bora ver. Más I'm gonna need something to do a very well eaten lunch Cause I'm totally gonna be starving cause my body does not adjust to dinner being the big meal in such a short time. and then well, or tacos or sandwiches would be a nice end to the day.

Me: Alright silly boy. I mean do you have requests for meals in the first few days you will be back. Say, for example, there was something in particular that you have missed. You might be saying to yourself "The food in Brazil is great, but I sure miss my Mom's chicken and dumplings." or spaghetti. or whatever.

Daniel: I didn't even think of chicken and dumplings but that is an amazing idea. Like seriously mom. Make whatever and I'll be happy. But like, tacos, chili, chicken and dumplings, REAL PIZZA, Alfredo, stir fry, honestly these and more that I don't even remember. Although the whole pizza thing is a must at some point. 

Me: No. I don't have a pressure cooker, but I am quite capable of making beans. If you want beans. We can definitely do pizza.

Daniel: No. It's like, the way. Cause americans don't do beans like I'm thinking. So that's not gonna work out. I think. I don't know. Cause it ain't just beans it's Almoço. tem que fazer o almoço, tipo. um bife acebolado. ou um frango assado na panela. Más se for tem que tirar o pitiu do frango. E...vai ser complicado más eu dou um jeito. Que o arroz é fácil. Más o feijão é mais complicado, com a panela de pressão é tipo, uma hora pra fazer. sem vai demorar até o pó, e também sai diferente. então bora ver o que que vou almoçar. 

Apparently, one of us is going to have to learn to cook beans the Brazilian way. Here's the regular email:



Well, so this whole time that I've been here in Macapá there's the whole equator line. Well this week I had like 2 seconds and got to take a picture with the monument for said line. But other than that the week was nice. We had our zone conference with the mission president and the assistants which was awesome. We talked quite a bit about the restoration which I absolutely love. And they had me give an exit testimony which wasn't as bad as the first one so I'm good. We had some people come to church this week which was great to tell the truth. Some people for the first time and they absolutely loved it. Like, I love those moments when the people come to church with that whole expectation of finding something great and they find that it's actually more than they were expecting. SO we're going forward. Love y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment