Sunday, August 9, 2009

One Little Monkey Jumpin on the Bed...

Jacob and the little girls were jumping on the bed Friday. The girls leapt off the bed into a pile of pillows. Jacob tried to follow. He didn't quite make it. His little leg got caught in between the mattress and the foot of the bed. His leg broke. Nice clean fracture of the tibia. We were at Children's Hospital ER until 4 am. Seven hours with a little boy who was tired and hurt. It was not an episode that I'd like to repeat.

He was quite grumpy yesterday. I'm sure the leg was hurting more. And his entire right leg is in a cast. He can't move around like he wants. We had a devil of a time keeping him happy and still. Nineteen month old boys do NOT want to be still.

Today he is in better spirits. I'm glad of it. I'm slightly worried about how he will cope. However, little children seem to adapt so well to a variety of circumstance. I probably shouldn't worry too much. This will be a bit of a burden on the other kids. We had to miss the library summer reading swim party. I suspect swimming is over for the summer. I'll have to find some way to make it up to them.

I am grateful that it wasn't worse. If the fracture had been higher up or in his knee, he would've had to have had surgery. As it is, he only needs a cast for 4-6 weeks. Toddler in a cast for 6 weeks. awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment