Monday, December 11, 2017

How Are You Feeling, Mom?

How are you feeling?

This is the question I have been getting almost constantly since Hannah decided to join the US Marine Corps. "How are you feeling?" comes with a lot of meanings and undertones. Some are really concerned for my well-being. Some are curious, maybe not sure how they would react in similar circumstance. Some are trying to reassure themselves. "How are you feeling?" is almost always well-meant.

The truth is I am fine. My daughter is amazing. During her senior year of high school she put a lot of thought into what she would do with herself after graduation. Just about every week there was a new plan. About two weeks before graduation she mentioned that she has talked to a recruiter. That conversation evolved into a strong desire and then a resolve to join the Marines. Through all this I knew (and have always known) that whatever she decided to do, Hannah Monzingo would be fantastic.

This particular path was a small surprise, and then again it was not. We have strived to raise independent, responsible, service-minded human beings. It cannot be a true surprise that once the children grow to adulthood they choose to serve, whether it is in the mission field or in the military.

How am I feeling?

I am proud of her decision to serve. I am confident in her ability to do well. I am joyful with her happiness. My Hannah is dynamic and resilient and intelligent and strong and caring. While we were not tear-free at parting, I cannot feel sad. My baby bird has learned to fly. Now she has the opportunity to soar.


No comments:

Post a Comment