Sunday, January 6, 2019

Unto Thyself Be True



A friend posted this on Facebook. It really struck a chord with me.

What does it mean to be yourself? Your true self? Can it be achieved in a lifetime? Is it something we can diagnose ourselves? Or do we need outside forces to help us see accurately?

I once told a friend that I had every intention of growing up to be an eccentric old lady. He replied that I only lacked the growing old part. I've been called weird, odd, shy, quiet, chatty, intelligent, know-it-all, judgemental, kind, among other things. The labels don't bother me, but sometimes they surprise me. I think I'm rather ordinary. It is a revelation to hear otherwise.

I've never cared too much about what other people thought of me. Even in high school when we all are hyper-concerned about peer opinions, I was not too fussed about it. Well, let me amend that. I was not overly worried about what most people thought. I did have a core group of very, very good friends. Their opinions mattered. Their opinions could matter because they accepted and maybe even appreciated my quirks. It is a precious gift to find friends who love you as you are.

I've come to believe that the most accurate, most important view of ourselves comes from Heavenly Father. We can learn to see ourselves as He does. It takes time. Sometimes a lifetime. That's OK. It's OK if you don't quite know yourself yet. You will.



No comments:

Post a Comment