Sunday, April 8, 2018

There's a House in the Road

Sometimes you can have a lovely morning. Peaceful, even. Well, almost peaceful. In this house it is nearly impossible to achieve total peace. Nevertheless, it was a good morning. The kids even got the Expedition converted from work vehicle to family vehicle without having to be told. And then we started the drive to church.

There was a house on the road. On the road that was the quickest there was a house blocking the way. This is not a common occurrence, but not unheard of when one lives in the country. It's always a good idea to have an alternate route. We went a different, slightly longer way. That was not a good idea. There was a traffic jam. On Sunday. On the highway. We eventually found a way around but our usual 25 minute trip was doubled. I did not arrive remotely peaceful. That did change. It could not help but change. It was a testimony meeting.

Sometimes our familiar path is blocked and the alternate is not any better. What do we do? Just keep moving. The goodness will come. Maybe in 50 minutes. Maybe in 50 years. One of the quotes from conference that seemed pertinent today "Success isn't the absence of failure, but going from failure to failure without any loss of enthusiasm."

I may not be very good at maintaining my enthusiasm, Persistence. I can be persistent. (Kermit calls it stubbornness. But I'm trying to be kind to myself.) When I can't quite make it to enthusiastic, at very least I know where I can find solace. With a healthy dose of solace I can regain my equilibrium and move forward.

There is a house on the road I want to travel. I'm certain there is a life metaphor here. Something about obstacles. Could be a house or traffic or, since we are in the country, a cow. Maybe some days none of the roads are good. We just have to keep moving forward. And if we arrive at the end a little frazzled and battered and bruised, it's OK. There will be Someone at the end who knows how to heal that.

No comments:

Post a Comment